The New York Palace Christmas Tree
Walking around New York City during the holidays is truly a magical experience.
From the brilliant window displays along Fifth Avenue to the thousands of holiday lights at Rockefeller Center, there are all kinds of sights to be enjoyed in the city!
Lotte New York Palace – Fun Facts
- In 1882, financier Henry Villard commissioned the architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White to create six private brownstone townhouses surrounding a courtyard on Madison Avenue.
- The neo-Italian Renaissance residences became known as the Villard Houses.
- In 1974, developer Harry Helmsley proposed a 55-story hotel for the site of the Villard Houses to be called The Helmsley Palace Hotel.
- In 1981, The Helmsley Palace opened as the first luxury hotel in New York City.
- In 1992, the Sultan of Brunei purchased the hotel and restored it.
- As of 2011, the hotel is operated by Northwood Investors.
The Lotte New York Palace is one of New York’s most iconic and recognizable hotels.
The hotel is located at 455 Madison Avenue, behind St. Patrick’s Cathedral.
A few weekends ago, on a warmer-than-usual Sunday morning, we decided to go see the Lotte’s Christmas Tree, and to our surprise, the gates of the hotel were opening at that exact time.
My entire family and I stayed at the Lotte’s Tower Suites during our wedding week so this brought back so many lovely memories. Our wedding suite was on the 46th floor, overlooking St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Rockefeller Center, and the Hudson River. My parents and my siblings stayed in the tower suites adjacent to ours, and this was a total dream. See a post about my wedding day here.
In the photo below you can see the hotel’s extraordinary Christmas tree and beautiful St. Patrick’s Cathedral in the background.
I wish each of you a wonderful holiday season!!
More Things To Do in New York City
Add these popular activities to your New York City itinerary:
- SUMMIT One Vanderbilt Experience Ticket
- Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island Guided Tour
- Manhattan Architecture Yacht Cruise
- Central Park Pedicab Guided Tour
Explore More Iconic Hotels in New York City
New York City Travel Guides
- Famous Paintings at the MoMA
- My Practical Guide to The MET Museum of Art
- 10 Iconic Central Park Locations for Photography
- What To See at The Metropolitan Opera
- See the Sunrise at the Empire State Building
SHOP THE POST