Italian Sausage Lasagna Recipe
I am a HUGE lasagna fan and have been preparing it for years. While I enjoy any homemade lasagna, my husband always requests one type of lasagna – Italian Sausage Lasagna!
Today I’m sharing an easy way to prepare this amazing lasagna in 15 minutes. The recipe requires 60 minutes of oven time, and if you need gluten-free pasta, I suggest the brand that I use which is also available without gluten.
My products for this recipe:
These are the ingredients you will need to make an Italian Sausage Lasagna for two:
- 1 box of oven-ready lasagna
- 1 Italian pork sausage
- 8 oz of mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 15 oz of ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
- 20 oz of tomato sauce
- optional: 12 pepperoni slices
- Brown the Italian pork sausage in a large pan until fully cooked. Drain the fat.
- In a baking dish start creating the layers, starting with a thin layer of tomato sauce on the bottom, followed by the lasagna sheets, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, Italian sausage, and pepperoni slices.
- Repeat the layers two more times.
- Lightly cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 425 F (220 C) for 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
What kind of Italian sausage should you use in a lasagna?
I always buy mild Italian pork sausage that I brown in a pan prior to creating the lasagna layers.
Does Italian lasagna have ricotta?
Yes. Lasagna in Italy is made with layers of dried lasagna sheets, tomato sauce, ricotta, mozzarella, and meat (often times ragú).
What is the order of the layers in a lasagna?
- Start with a thin layer of tomato sauce so that the lasagna sheets do not get stuck to the bottom of the baking dish.
- Then add a layer of the noodles, followed by ricotta and mozzarella cheese, and then a layer of the meat with tomato sauce.
- Repeat those layers two more times.
- Finish the lasagna with a final layer of noodles, sauce, and a top layer of mozzarella cheese.
A final note!
We really enjoy this Italian sausage lasagna recipe with ricotta cheese. It’s an easy recipe that is perfect for a weeknight dinner, especially when you don’t have much time to cook!
If you have an extra fifteen minutes, you can mince 1 medium onion and 1 clove of garlic and cook it with the sausage in the large pan. Once the sausage is cooked, you can add chopped parsley and chopped basil or dried oregano. Italian sausages already have seasoning, which is why I prefer to skip the step of adding extra herbs when preparing this lasagna.
Oven-Ready Lasagna Sheets are the secret to preparing this lasagna so easily! There is no need to boil the pasta first, and this saves half the preparation time. Ever since I discovered Barilla’s oven-ready lasagna sheets, I have not looked back.
If you are using an 8×8 baking dish, you will need 8 Barilla oven-ready lasagna sheets. If you will use a 9×13 baking dish, you’ll need the entire 10 oz (283 grams) box.
SHOP THE POST!
YOU WILL LOVE THESE RECIPES:
- Baked Salmon with Lemon
- Baked Feta Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes
- Rigatoni Florentina
- Salmon & Mango Rice Bowl
Save this post! Share with friends!